• question-icon

Suggest treatment for gastritis and heartburn

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a male age 47 previous diagnose of gal stones and Liver Hemangioma ... I am also a patient of high blood pressure . The problem I am facing from a last few days is that even if a take a single bite of spicy food as soon as I swallow from my Throat to my stomach severe burning starts it goes away when I take something sweet or drink water by the time .Can you please tell me what could be the reason for this ? this has never happened to me before this is something that just started recently as I am an Asian I am used to eating spicy food since childhood ,can you also tell me what kind of specialist I should go to and what kind of test I should get done.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
XXXX you are having gastritis and heartburn.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Inflammation of the stomach is also known as acute gastritis.Possible causes and habits that could lead to gastritis include medications and some pain medicines that can harm the lining and walls of the stomach; the excessive consumption of alcohol;over spicy curry based food, drinking alcohol, coffee, tea, and lemon juice on an empty stomach; and eating hot foods.When hot foods enter into injured areas of the stomach, the stomach lining and the interior walls slow or stop altogether the flow of blood in the stomach walls, causing reddening, irritation.

In reflux disorders the excessive acid formed in your stomach regurgitates back into esophagus.Esophagus is lined naturally with a thin layer of mucosa.This mucosa is severely irritated by refluxed acid.This irritation causes inflammation.

Modern medicine treatment-
Request your gastroenterologist to start you on PPI-antacids like Rabeprazole. Rabeprazole should be taken inn combination of Domperidone 30mg or Levosulpiride(both are prokinetic)slow release once daily. This will slow down the reflux of acid back.

An antacid containing local anesthetic (Digene gel ) should be taken 2tsf thrice daily.

Natural methods-
Add 2 tablespoons of bee honey to warm water and drink daily on an empty stomach. It will reduce the acidity of the stomach and the walls will heal themselves naturally.
Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a cup of hot or warm milk and take early each morning to cure the stomach of irritation, and this is the best treatment for gastritis.
Consume a quarter teaspoon of kalonji(as you are asian ask your mom) seeds to cure the stomach and treat acute gastritis. Eat black onion seeds to continually eliminate ulcers as well as stomach cancer.
Eating oatmeal with honey every day for breakfast is very beneficial for curing acute gastritis and ulcers.
Add 2-3 tablespoons of psyllium (ispaghol) to 1 cup of yogurt and add 1 banana. Eat every day a half an hour before breakfast. It is very beneficial for stomach health.

Apart from this, some dietary restrictions are to be followed-

- Avoid alcohol or smoking.
- No aerated beverages.
- Take light non spicy easily digestible food for few days.
- No Fast food like pizza or burger should be taken.
- Drink a cup of cold milk daily.
- Avoid fatty foods.

If not relieved in 5 days, an endoscopy may be planned to rule out any peptic ulcers or H.pylori infection(Very unlikely) after visiting your Physician.

Speciality you have to follow is Gastroenterology.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist