Suggest treatment for gastric issues in a person with history of GERD

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi
after coming back from my daily one hour walk or any kind of physcial strenuous activity,when i take a shower,i get extremely bloated immediately when in shower,also i feel short of breadth,i have history of GERD,i take GERD medication quite often,also i have GAS issues while running,i have actually stopped running because of GAS and GERD leading to shortness of breadth and GERD while running,i had my ECG and ECHO done as per doctor heart is ok,also pulmonary tests were also done and no anomaly found,i am taking GERD medication doesnt improve the situation,Endoscopy was done and no ulcers were discovered,He prescribed colonoscopy,Please inform if it is urgent
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no urgency to get colonoscopy examination

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am Dr.Amit Jain (DM, Gastroenterologist).
I don't think there is any urgency to get colonoscopy examination as symptoms appear to arise from upper gastrointestinal tract and not the colon.

Few tips I will like to advise which I found very useful in my patients are:
1. Avoid spicy food, Tea coffee, and citrus fruits and fatty meals
2. Don' lie down at least for 2 hrs after any meal
3. Take small and frequent meals
4. Don't drink water after taking meals
5. Do regular exercise not strenous
6. Wear loose clothes

Among medications:
1. Take ilaprazole along with a prokinetic agent levosulpiride
2. Take Famotidine at time of sleep

For bloating or gas issue
1. Observe whether dairy products worsen this symptom then avoid dairy products
2. Don't take carbonated drinks
3/ Avoid cabbage, beans, pulses
4. Take capsule of simethicone and tab gasex by Himalaya may be twice a day. Both I found very useful in my patients with bloating symptoms

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 13 minutes later
Dear doctor thanks for your answer, one thing i am not sure is why their is a sudden increase in bloating after water hits the back of my neck in shower, i also feel a lump inside my throat immediately afterwards while showering,i have suffered from stiff neck issues sometime back as well, is it related to any muscular or nerve issues, also i do take a healthy diet, i am trying to isolate lactose and gluten intolerance issues these days as well, please help as i want to run again really bad , thanks for your help doctor
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No relation with shower and gas issue

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back. I don't think there is any relation with your shower and bloating symptoms. However stiffness may be due to muscles spasm. Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar