Suggest treatment for gas and stomach upset in a 4 month old

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi doctor . my 4 month baby is crying a lot . last 3 days he has not passes stool . i doubt he has gas and upset stomach . also he is not feeding much . he is on exclusive breastfeed. specially crying when feeding . could u please suggest some medicine or colimax- df is fine. its urgent.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Constipatoin or air swallowing

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

This is called evening colic and is quite common in this age group. This happens when the baby sucks at the breast very fast and in eagerness to drink milk will gulp in air too. Unless the air comes out like burping or flatus this discomfort will be there and next time check if she is sucking too fast and gulping in air too. You will be more convinced. Usually I don't advice any medicines for this as they give only temporary relief.

But if you insist you can give Colicaid drops 1ml thrice a day for 2 days and get back.

At his age you can wait for 7 days for not passing motion before giving medicine for it.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for gas and stomach upset in a 4 month old 2 hours later
thanks doctor .just one quick check , previously he used to feed after after 1- 1.5 hour . now he is feeding after 3 hours. is it normal

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi...thanks for trust in me.

It is normal. If he is active and his usual self and yet comfortable feeding once in 3 hours, you an leave him alone and be happy.

More than the hours of feeding what is more important is his activity and his achieving of developmental milestones.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696