Suggest treatment for gas and constant burping

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi,
My father XXXX aged 69yrs is a high pressure and sugar patient.Last one and half year he is consistently suffering from gas which ends up in burp all the time. So we consulted general physician but the doctor referred to nephrologists (as problems found related potassium,sodium,creatinine etc).Last one year we are consulting nephrologists and psychiatrist (for anxiety) .But the situation remains the same and burp still continues which results in loss of appitite.
Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Delayed stomach emptying

Detailed Answer:
HI,SIR

I have carefully read your query, gone through all your attached reports and understand your concern.

The unresolved symptoms of long term gastric complaints of bloating and loss of appetite ,in my opinion point towards "diabetic gastroparesis",which is an autonomic nervous system dysfunction syndrome.

This is quite common complication in long term diabetic patients.

Treatment includes tab metocloperamide twice a day.

Include high fiber in the diet.

Finish dinner by 8 pm.

maintain adequate hydration.

All this is enough..

i hope this info is useful to you.
consult an expert gastroenterologist for further assistance.
thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 12 hours later
Do i stop consulting with nephrologist and stop the medicine prescribed by him or the kindney is also not in healthy condition according to the reports given by me and therefore the medicine are very necessary to keep the kindney in action. Nephrologist doctor has stictly mentioned not to give any fruit or fruit juice to the patient then for maintaining adequate hydration, does drinking water would be helpful what do you suggest.kindly suggest me some high fiber containing food.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep in touch with nephrologist always

Detailed Answer:

You should keep consulting your family nephrologist,as his prescribed medications are absolutely necessary,to your father,since he is a known patient of CKD-chronic kidney disease.

Yes fruit juices should not be given to CKD patients,as they cause potassium overload.Orange juice can occasionaly be given

Give Oatmeal for breakfast
This should only be source for dietary fiber,rest of all fiber foods should be avoided.

You can give him ample amount of drinking water.

Key messages to your father:

1.avoid large meals,and eat atleast 5 small meals a day.

2.cut down high fat foods.

3.liquid foods in the form of "shakes" are very good.

4.start your day with pureed foods and liquids.

5.chew food well.

6.on days ,if symptoms are severe,rest the stomach,take only liquid foods.

7.sit up while eating and one hour after finishing.

8.keep blood sugar under strict control.consult your doc if its >200mg/dl.

9.check your weight twice a week.

10.if weight is decreasing ,increase consumption of liquid diets in the form of milk shakes,popsicles and gelatin.

if you loose weight weight more than 5kgs unintentionally,report to your doctor.

I hope this info is helpful to you.
post your further queries on http://bit.ly/drsureshheijebu
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari