• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ganglion cyst on foot

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been diagnosed with a ganglion cyst in the arch of my foot by my podiatrist.

He suggested hot-cold foot baths and rest.

Is there anything else I can do to speed up the healing process. I am used to walking a lot as I live in New York City.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Ganglion cyst is can not be "healed" with baths and rest. Please note that such cyst is connected with a joint (its a kind of joint hernia) and filled with joint fluid. It does not cause any serious problems, does not lead to a cancer, but it gives pain. It can become smaller or larger depending of the physical activity.
It is a structural problem witch can not be fixed with baths and rest. There are few ways to get rid of it (however it likes to recur):
- simple cyst injury (with needle or punch - so it will break and the fluid will get absorbed)
- steroid injection
- surgical removal

The most valuable method is surgical removal.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Thank you. That was helpful. How long should I wait before I do one of the suggested procedures. It has not increased or decreased in size since yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
2 days without improvement should be enough to make this decision.
However if it will start getting worse, do not wait.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon