Suggest treatment for gallstone in gallbladder
I have a single 2.3cm gallstone in my gallbladder. I'm looking for options other than cholecystectomy.
So far the stone is not specifically bothering me, I do not have pain (maybe sometimes mild discomfort), and also I suspect that the bile flow is not optimal.
Local doctors recommend doing nothing and then cutting out the gallbladder when it starts bothering and do not offer any alternatives (I'm located in Vienna, Austria).
I did not have any surgeries so far, and I understand that it possibly won't hurt (apart from being expensive) to try ESWL + ursodiol treatment first (this was the viable alternative I found on the internet, maybe there is something else?), with leaving the surgery as plan B if the non-surgical treatment will not help or stones will recur. I seek a qualified advice on the topic.
Keep it as it is
Thanks for writing in
A 2.3 cm silent stone without cholecystitis can very well be left alone
See that you avoid fried and fermented foods
Take small frequent meals
Ursodil has some role in in conservative management but the results are not gratifying
Equally is ESWL
With advances in Laparoscopy surgery Cholecystectomy has become a day care procedure
I would recommend it as plan A if it starts bothering you
Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Ok, I see. Although I read that Ursodiol practically does not have any side effects, so it wouldn't hurt to try it?
Do I understand properly that once it's cut out, I'll have to keep certain dietary requirements and take supplement pills (e.g. to aid digestion of fried foods) for the rest of my life?
I do confirm your understanding
Thanks for your followup
I do confirm your understanding, Ursodiol has no side effects can be taken safely
After gall bladder removal you need to avoid fatty meals, Occasional enymes may be needed to aid digestion but on a day too day basis patients do not find the need for the same
Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What treatment do you suggest for gallstones
- Treatment and cure for gallstone
- Gallstones with biliary colic treatment
- Suggest treatment for gallbladder problem
- Treatment for gallstone pain
- Multiple gallstones treatment
- Sugges treatment for gallstone removal
- Laser treatment for gallstones
- Treatment and cure for incidental gallstones
- Suggest treatment for gallbladder stone
- Bruised temple, has caused numbness in that area. Serious?
- Experiencing testicular pain, no lumps, fluctuating, discomfort when...
- Is abdominal cramps a symptom of diarrhea?
- Blood on stool, back pain, testicular pain, lump on anus, abdominal...
- Weight loss, constipation with dark stools. Bad eating habits. Symptoms...
- Chills and fever, swelling on lymph nodes. Liver and spleen mildly...
- Pain in legs, collar bones, irregular bowel movement and unsatisfied...
- Child having fever and back pain after falling from bed, swollen spot on...
- Dealing with domestic violence, appendix erupted. Is it due to violence?
- Itchy anus, no pain. Neither zinc cream nor hemorrhoid cream worked. Any...