Suggest treatment for gall stones

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 31 Jul 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: CT scan report of my wife:Pancreas appears atrophic.Main pancreatic duct appears dilated with multiple calculi in the main pancreatic duct and its branches,largest noted in the body measuring ~26*17mm.Pancreatic duct measures ~20mm in the body of pancreas.No obvious Intrapancreatic / peripancreatic cystic lesion at present.No significant peripancreatic inflammation noted.
Gall bladder normal in size,shape and outlines.Multiple calculi measuring ~3-5mm noted.
Age:28 Height:149cm Weight:38..what kind of treatments she should undergo?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Chronic Calculous Pancreatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

The pain is abdomen is definitely due to obstruction from stones in the major pancreatic duct which have led to chronic pancreatitis

Gall stones can be easily managed by Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy

Depending on the choice and expertise of the surgeon the Pancreatic duct stones can be managed by endoscopy, surgery and/or extra corporeal shock wave lithotripsy

Till you plan any procedure continue with the medications mentioned

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 20 hours later
please tell about extra corporeal shock wave lithotripsy and is there any side effects and possible for stones growing again after carring out lithotripsy?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends On Lot Of Factors

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in
As a surgical gastroentrologist I would prefer going for endoscopic extraction of the stones

In expert hands the results are great

As far as ESWL is concerned, ESWL leads to the fragmentation of pancreatic stones, which has improved the results of endoscopic therapy and may have additional indications in the treatment of patients because successful stone extraction during ERCP depends upon the size and location of the stones and may not be possible if strictures are present or pancreatic stones have become embedded in the ductal system.

So clubbing two procedures can give better results but all varies from case to case and the treating surgeon would be in a better position to guide you better

Hope this helps
Do write back in case you need further clarification

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
please list the best expert hands and their clinics in and around tamilnadu
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Google it

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in
Just google it or call a yellow page service for a clinician in your area, then get back to me with the names and I will suggest an expert

Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj