Suggest treatment for gall bladder stones

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Wed, 23 Sep 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: What is the treatment for small no painful liver stones. My dad is 89 yrs old and in fairly good health. Had a sonogram after high liver enzymes count were found on a routine blood test.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
For painless gallbladder stones there is nothing much to do.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns.

You are perhaps talking about gallbladder stones. Once painful the ultimate treatment is the Cholecystectomy surgery. But if there is no inflammation of the walls of gallbladder and there is no pain, usually it is recommended to keep the patient on follow-ups.

Usually small amount of sludge is there in gallbladder and needs nothing much to do. Your dad needs low to no fatty fried foods. Fats when we eat go to the small intestines and they need Gallbladder and pancreas secretions to be poured on them to start digestion of fats. Gallbladder in this way helps in emulsification and breaking the fats into small droplets easy for further digestion by enzymes.

More fatty and full stomach meals means more and more function the gallbladder needs to do. More and more constrictions of the bladder makes it vulnerable to injury due to the stones corners and it will start pain one day.

Also the gallbladder secretions are recycled every time. More recycling means more sludge to deposit inside the bladder and more increase in size of stones that are more prone to get symptomatic and cause pain and need for future surgery.

So:-
*No heavy meals, small and frequent instead.
*More vegetables.
*Les fats and fried , junk foods.
*No more coffee, tea and energy drinks and Sodas.

Keep a good physical activity and ensure a judicious amount of clean drinking water too.

Ultrasound every 6 months is the follow up plan.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating and don't forget to close the discussion.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. Keep a follow up some days after this visit session ends.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 46 minutes later
Thank you for your answer but the doctor definitely said liver stones. Is that the same as gallbladder stones?
Brief Answer:
Usually it is referred to as gallbladder stones.

Detailed Answer:
I welcome you back with follow up.

Usually it is the gallbladder stones which are referred to as after the ultrasonography. Gallbladder is just beneath the liver attached to its lower surface so it is taken as the same structure usually.

But definitely you may ask you doctor again for reinforcement.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D