Suggest treatment for fungal toenail infection
Oral antifungal medications to start after examination of nail scrapping...
I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.
It is difficult to treat fungal toenail infection. This is because the cream you use cannot be absorbed by the nail. It can only affect the nail bed where the nail takes the nutrients for its functioning.
It will take more than 1 year from the day you started to use topical medications for the improvement to take place.
Terbinafin can be used orally but will not have much effect and it carries alot of side effects especially when it comes to liver damages. I always recommend my patients to check their liver function test first before starting terbinafin orally.
Next, is the infection cannot be dominated for long time, then, examination of nail scrapping is advised to rule out psoriasis that can mimic fungal infection.
Furthermore, the way you use anti-fungal medications matters:
- I advise my patients to thin their nail first before applying anti-fungal cream; this is the best way the cream can penetrate and kill the fungus. Can use urea lotion on the nail for this purpose
- After that, can apply terbinafin or itraconazole cream
If no success with terbinafin cream, antifungal nail polish is advised to apply on the surface of the nail and surrounding skin once a day for one year. This antifungal nail polish contains ciclopirox.
Can discuss this further with your doctor.
Hope it was of help!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Staph toenail infection
- Toenail infection savlon
- Is my removed toenail infected
- Fungal toenail infection taking terbinafine ok to drink
- Amoxicillin for ingrown toenail infection
- Diagnosis of toenail infection
- Treatment and cure for toenail infection
- Severe ingrown toenail infection
- Treatment for fungal toenail infection
- Toenail infection causes
- May have a mild attack of gout. Red and swollen. Uric acid was slightly...
- Over weight. Having lot of hair on face. What can be wrong?
- What are the chances of getting diabetes for a person having chronic...
- Child having hair loss, unable to gain weight and sweating. Had a blood...
- Took 5 mg of propranolol. Will there be any side effects?
- Itching sensation all over body. Noticed blood under tongue. Are they...
- Having mild to moderate pain after root canal treatment. Could this be...
- Have diarrhoea and diagnosed with Cryptosporidiosis. Anything serious?
- Pain in left thigh, testicular pain, dizziness and nausea. Pain radiates...
- Taking nexium and having stomach upset. How long should I take nexium?