Suggest treatment for fungal skin infection on the foot

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My feet are getting worse and worse.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some more information please.

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXXX,
Thanks for asking under roof of health care magic.
I have read your query... but could not think of cause or possible solutio n because of short information given.
The feet problem can arise due to problem with bones/joints/muscles,tendons,facia/nerves suplying the part at foot ,knee,hip or spine.
Detailed information about complaints would help in thinking on proper line &advise you for further action .Any investigations done l
or treament tried are requested to be informed.
please do the needful.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 minutes later
Here is a pic
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Expert advise & specific treatment/ improved foot hygiene.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX goodpaster,
Thanks for the picture of the lesion.
Your age, a dry, scaly look of skin along with yellow discoloration of nails & also some part of foot below great toe.... suggest it to be a fungal infection of skin of the foot.
This is possible due to other causes like-genetic predisposition/habit of using non breathable shoes or walking bear foot/ diabetes leading to circulatory disorders followed by the infection.
* Expert consultation.. Looking at the severity & aggravation of symptoms you have ..In order to control it & prevent it from spreading, I would advise for consultation of a Podologist ( foot specialist ) doctor.. for his expert advise .for management/ testing for culture& sensitivity/ excludingor diagnosing & controlling diabetes.
Very good local applications of medicated nail polish/ nail gels are available for management Doctor may advise for oral anti fungal medicines also if needed.
* management-home care-
- Use clean socks & shoes made of breathable material.
- cleaning of foot followed by complete drying is essential.
- have diabetes in good control.. if you have it.
- To follow doctor's instructions strictly.. go for follow up reviews & take complete treatment as advised.
I am sure, you would come out of the trouble with specific expert advise about management & improved life style.
I hope the answer is both informative & useful to you. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.