• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fungal infection

Posted on Thu, 30 Oct 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Had unprotected sex with a girl almost 4 months ago. Tested negative for gonnorhea chlamydia syphillus hep b hep c and hiv. Have some redness around penis opening doctor said fungal infection. Have cold feeling sometimes in penis and testicles sometimes and cold feeling and tingling sensation in pelvic area. Did have some redness and stinging skin on testicles( scrotum ) and inner thigh and in folds where thighs meets groin area, put some clotrimazole on it seems to go away, seems to get worse when sweating. What r the chances it is herpes, no sores or blisters though? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures are available on profile
Stinging feeling was in between sxrotum and anus to
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You might be silent carrier, get HSV antibody test

Detailed Answer:
Hi Good,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
It is understood that you are taking treatment for fungal infection and at the same time want an opinion regarding any herpes infection you might have contracted.

Since you tested negative for gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis, these infections are unlikely to occur. You have also been screened for Hepatitis B and C along with HIV and these results also stand negative.

There is a condition termed silent herpes infection. In this, even if they don't show any sign of infection, people carry genital herpes virus in their system.

Recent developments in testing technology have made it possible to accurately detect herpes antibodies in blood, thus providing a way to diagnose herpes regardless of the presence or absence of lesions.

On the fungal infection, the creams containing both steroid and antifungal like clotrimazole or miconazole work best. This may be applied of the skin twice a day. It will start healing in two weeks time and you can apply for about a month. Once a patient starts treatment with creams applied on the affected area twice a day, in 2 - 3 days the infection is controlled and no longer causes itching or burning.

Apart from the above you also must trim your pubic hairs, wear cotton inner clothes and wash your genitals with warm water twice a day and wipe it dry. Please avoid wearing wet clothes.

Always enjoy protected sex if you have multiple partners.

Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
The girl told me she is clean!!

Would the burning and tingling of skin last for months comes and goes. Have it for a few days then gone and then back if it was herpes, I even have burning skin on my lower back almost waist line.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibody test must for HSV confirmation

Detailed Answer:
Hi Good,
Thanks for writing back to us.

If the girl told she is clean then she might be uninfected. A small number of 'clean' people also can be infected without symptoms and this is about 10 percent of patients.

Also herpes is transmitted even by close skin to skin contact and not always sexually.

In herpes, the burning and itching is seen in the prodromal period and then manifests as blisters unless you have taken anti viral medicine like acyclovir to stop the blisters. It is strongly suggested that you get yourself tested for HSV antibodies for to be sure.

You must also take care of the fungal infection as that can also cause burning and itching. Please take complete treatment for it.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist