Suggest treatment for fungal infection on toe nail

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello,
one of my toenails is not growing straight forward, but forming a "bulb like" appearance. forming a higher thicker profile
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi

From the description, it looks like you have developed a fungal infection of the toe nail.

For confirmation of the diagnosis, I would like to have a look at the exact nail condition.
You can click some close up pictures of the nail and upload them here on this page.
Also please tell since when do you have this problem?
Is only a single nail involved?

Dr Geetika XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 14 minutes later
when I asked the question, I said ONE of my toe nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nail thickening, need to rule out fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

There are various causes of thickening and pigmentation of the toe nails, of which fungal infection of nails is the most common cause.
Since only a single nail is involved in your case, so it is better to see a local doctor soon for confirmation of the diagnosis and take treatment for the same. A simple lab test is done on the nails to look for infection by fungi.
Fungal infection of nails usually starts with a single nail but has a tendency to spread to other nails of toes as well as fingers.
In case it is not possible to see a local doctor anytime soon, then you can start treatment with an antifungal nail paint like am lacquer lotion.

Dr Geetika XXXXXXX