Suggest treatment for fungal infection on the thighs and the penis

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 2 Mar 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor, I am having a kind of fungal infection or a ringworm on my penis and thigh. This was seen last year too. First I used Itchguard on it, but it did not respond. Later I applied Lobet Gm on it and it kind of got cured for sometime. But now it has came back this year too. The Lobet gm seem to be ineffective on it. What medications would you suggest? I am uploading the photos without washing.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the images.
I see dry, scaly, ring shaped lesions.
Lobate - GM cream is not the right treatment for fungal infection. It contains a potent steroid (clobetasol propionate 0.05%) and though might offer partial and temporary symptomatic relief it actually prolongs the fungal infection.
I suggest an oral antifungal e.g either terbinafine or itraconazole for 4 weeks. In addition I suggest you to use luliconazole 1%cream or sertaconazole 2%cream, twice daily for 2-4 weeks. These are prescription medications and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner regarding a prescription for the same.
You may also take an oral antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad