Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
124 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for fungal infection on hips while on Itraconazole

Answered by
Dr. R.G. Joshi


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 695 Questions

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am affected by fungal infection on hips since last year. I used itraconozole 200 mg daily. When I stop median fungal infection come back just in two days.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Long duration of antifungals will work.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.I can understand your concern.

Fungal infection is quite common now days and very challenging for dermatologist to trat because of drug resistance.
Most of dermatologist now use itraconazole either in 200 or 400mg.However you should use it for longer peroids.

I usually prescribe 200 mg for 14 days and taper to 100 mg for next 2 to 3 months.This along with antifungal soap and powders work best.

If you have taken course of itraconazole terbinafine in double dose(250 mg twice daily fro 7 days) and tapper accordingly is another good option.All these require long term management and i will advise you to take treatment under the guidance of a dermatologist.

Avoid jeans as far as possible.Do not apply steroid creams for faster results.I hope this will help you.In case of any concern i will be happy to help you.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 hours later
my problem is i dont want to take more medican. i using medican since last year and i tired . suggest me parmnent treatment . itraconozole prescribed by a work but one year such a long time. i think fugal is now druge registance. you can help me please . help me .
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
topical antifungals.

Detailed Answer:
Hello,Thanks for following up.

If you do not want oral medication then you can go for topical antifungals.

Luliconazole is a new antifungal and it has quite good results. It is available on prescription. Lulifin is the brand which is prescribed by many dermatologists. You can ask your dermatologist for this topical drug. Apply it twice daily for 2 to 3 weeks.

I hope this will help you. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 hours later
Any other oral medicine nor itraconozole and fluconozole
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 45 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Terbinafine is a good oral antifungal.Zimig is the brand with good results.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Oral antifungal

doctor1 MD

Hello doc my mother has some skin problem

doctor1 MD

any idea what these white marks are

doctor1 MD

Having a terrible yeast infection….used the Monistate with cortisone and it is burning awful and can't get any relief! is there anything else i can...