Suggest treatment for fungal infection on arm

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi I am also a physician, but a radiologist, not primary care. I have eczema on my hand which may have gotten infected because i have noticed soreness going up my arm in a thin line from the wrist over the antecubital region to the inner arm and axilla. Today it seemed minimally red, barely, but I started to get worried. Don't know how serious it could be. I was just planning to order myself some antibiotics, but don't know if I need to be seen. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible fungal infection...

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear colleague,

Thank you for sharing your concern with us.

I have gone through your skin eczema, and I think that might indicate fungal infection. So, I advise to run a skin examination to rule out fungal infection.

For the moment, until the results are in, can apply miconazole cream mixed with steroid cream you are currently taking. Should keep the area well moistened to avoid further skin damages.

Hope it helped! Let me know if I can assist your further!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
you didn't answer the most important question, not about the eczema but about the painful red line going up my arm.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answer...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

Sorry for the missed reply as I unfortunately, I was not able to see well the red line going up your line in the photos I got.

I went through the photos again, and noted only a small line in one of the photos (but not as a line going up your arm). It seems to be an inflamed/infected artery (arteritis), possibly Takayasu's arteritis.

As you are not having any symptom at all, further examinations are required for final diagnosis:
- angiogram of blood vessels of the arm
- measure ERS and CRP levels
- complete blood work

With regards the treatment, can start corticosteroid therapy (with prednisone):
- for the first few days intra-muscular therapy
- then, can continue with oral therapy

You can discuss it further with rheumatologist for specific advice as this is a chronic disease and needs long-term follow up. Apart steroids, I usually, prescribe antibiotics of penicillin group to my patients (1 course at least intramuscular together with steroids).

Hope it answered to your questions!
Dr.Albana