Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

167 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for fungal infection on arm

Answered by
Dr. Albana Sejdini

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 5241 Questions

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi I am also a physician, but a radiologist, not primary care. I have eczema on my hand which may have gotten infected because i have noticed soreness going up my arm in a thin line from the wrist over the antecubital region to the inner arm and axilla. Today it seemed minimally red, barely, but I started to get worried. Don't know how serious it could be. I was just planning to order myself some antibiotics, but don't know if I need to be seen. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible fungal infection...

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear colleague,

Thank you for sharing your concern with us.

I have gone through your skin eczema, and I think that might indicate fungal infection. So, I advise to run a skin examination to rule out fungal infection.

For the moment, until the results are in, can apply miconazole cream mixed with steroid cream you are currently taking. Should keep the area well moistened to avoid further skin damages.

Hope it helped! Let me know if I can assist your further!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
you didn't answer the most important question, not about the eczema but about the painful red line going up my arm.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answer...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

Sorry for the missed reply as I unfortunately, I was not able to see well the red line going up your line in the photos I got.

I went through the photos again, and noted only a small line in one of the photos (but not as a line going up your arm). It seems to be an inflamed/infected artery (arteritis), possibly Takayasu's arteritis.

As you are not having any symptom at all, further examinations are required for final diagnosis:
- angiogram of blood vessels of the arm
- measure ERS and CRP levels
- complete blood work

With regards the treatment, can start corticosteroid therapy (with prednisone):
- for the first few days intra-muscular therapy
- then, can continue with oral therapy

You can discuss it further with rheumatologist for specific advice as this is a chronic disease and needs long-term follow up. Apart steroids, I usually, prescribe antibiotics of penicillin group to my patients (1 course at least intramuscular together with steroids).

Hope it answered to your questions!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Primary care

doctor1 MD

Dear Dr. Ditah, THANK YOU for asking me how I am doing, as I do have several follow questions for you Here goes: 1. I have believed for some time now that I have some form of inflammation or infection in the area of my eye cage and forehead. This...

doctor1 MD

I have been taking atorvastatin 40 mg for 4 months - through carotid endarterectomy surgery - with horrible subjective side effects which, objectively, include very low hematocrit of 32.9% and other low red blood cell counts. Primary Care...

doctor1 MD

I've had a cold from runny nose since Thanksgiving in the U.S. to now a cough the past four days. I lost my voice and its been about three days. It's a dry cough and kept me up all night yesterday. I think I am getting better if I rest my voice. I...

doctor1 MD

I have a 3 inch bruise on the back of my left knee but it does not hurt. I do have a swore pain on the same leg towards the outside of my knee going halfway up my outer thigh. Any idea what this could be? I am going to make an appointment with my primary care Dr. in the morning, but I m a little worried right now. Thanks, Melissa

doctor1 MD

My coworker complained today that her left arm was really sore and was having trouble pickup up her iced tea, tonight she called and said her arm was still extremely sore and that her left leg was swelling . I ve suggested she go to ER, but she s not sure she should. Should I continue to encourage her to seek medical help rather than wait to see her primary care physician tomorrow???

doctor1 MD

I have vertigo with a retracted ear drum. How does this happen? Over the past few years I have gone to my primary care and Ent with complaints about my ear leaking. They did not see anything. It would literally drain out. Now I have a bad case of vertigo since last Thursday and my primary care said I have a retracted ear drum. He put me on a steroid and sudafed and afrin . Said if its not better by Wednesday to go back o the Ent. What do you think?