Suggest treatment for fungal infection of toe nail

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Wed, 15 Oct 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Can you tell me a safe and effective way to get rid of toenail fungus?
Thank you.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can be well controlled

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to HCM forum.

Fungal infection of toe nail is a chronic infection that is very difficult to cure completely.
Though text books mentions about cure on treatment for about 2 months, in practice many cases relapses after stopping the treatment.
So,after controlling the infection, I advise my patients to continue antifungal drops on alternate days indefinitely. This will keep the conditions well controlled.
You can use clotrimazole lotion applied twice daily for 6 weeks, and then continue once in 2 or 3 days indefinitely.

Also,keep the area as dry as possible-moisture is the most important predisposing factor to fungal infection.so avoid frequent wetting and mop the area well after wetting.Avoid close clipping of nails.

Hope this will answer your query.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari