Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

137 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for fungal infection of genitals

Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 9730 Questions

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear Sir

This is XXXXXXX i hope u remember me , i had contacted u last month(June 12) with regards to infection in the penis due to std.

I was residing in bangkok recently XXXXXXX visited a hospital and consulted a urologist, he examined penis and said there was discharge from the penis, and treated with injection and antibiotic( DOXYCYCLINE-100 MG Capsule)

I was using that anticbtiotic for two weeks and it finished,

i had to move out of thailand because of visa issues, and am resising in cambodia now

however there is still discharge from the penis and infection still seems to be there and little pain while urniating

i had done a blood test to determine if i have diabeties, and i do have diabeties , of 197

can u please advise me proper medication to treat thisso the discharge can stop and the nfection goes away

wld really appreciate your help
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due Genital Candidiasis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Genital Candidiasis (Fungal Infection of the genitals)

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Did you have unprotected sex before you noticed these symptoms ?
2) Do you have itching of the genital?
3) Have you done swab test and culture of urethral discharge before you started taking Doxicycline?

Please get swab test and culture of the urethral discharge to confirm the diagnosis.

In the mean while start taking antibiotic like Erythromycin and anti fungal medication like Fluconozole twice daily and topical anti fungal jelly like Fluconozole for local application.

Ensure to wash your genitals with warm water twice daily

Ensure to avoid sexual encounters till it heals up completely.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 26 minutes later

thank u for your response

to answer your questions

1. i did not use condom last time i had sex, but i did not put it inside vagina, it was only on outside

i have never inserted inside a ladys vagina till date during sex

2. yes, i do have itching feeling in genital area

3.the doctor i consulted was a specalist at a hospital, he wanted to start the treatment from zero ,he gave me two options

b. injection and antibiotics treatment & follow up later

i chose injection and antibiotic treatment, i could not go for follow up as my visa xpired

no swab test were done

is operation nesscary or can this b cured with antibiotics?

should i start the medication advised right away..?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to start treatmnt suggested by me.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.You get the tests done and start treatment which I have suggested in my reply earlier .

Please consult Diabetologist for advise as regards treatment for diabetes and ensure that your diabetes is well controlled with medication .
There is no need to undergo surgery.
It will get cured with medicines.
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 minutes later
thanks for reply

i will start with the medication and consult a doctor here also for the swab test

hope this will work, i have this problem since may 16... its better from before..but not gone
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead and follow the instructions given.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again .
Do write to me about results of these tests and any improvement in your symptoms after taking medications for a week.
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 16 hours later
g morning

i have got the following from the local pharmacy here

1.Zocon-150-Fluconazole Tablets 150 mg
2.Erythromycin- 500 mg
3.Ketoconazole Cream

Fluconazole cream was not avaliable with the pharmacist, she recommended Ketoconazole Cream, please advise if ok to use

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take medicines supplied by your chemist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Start taking medications supplied by chemist .It will get cured within a week provided or diabetes is controlled .
Thanks and Regards,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on Fungal infection

doctor1 MD

Good day. I have noticed a strongish smell after urinating. The pharmacist said its either a fungal or bacterial infection. Diflucan was suggested, but that would only sort out a fungal infection not a bacterial?? i had been on antibiotics a while ago and my life is very stressful right now due to my mother being ill. In the past I would use Diflucan after antibiotics to get rid of the candida which antibiotics cause. NOw there is only a smell of the urine but no actual discharge.

doctor1 MD

I have a dermatology issue. The skin on my fingers crack. I live in Maine and have suffered from chap fingers all my life. But now it seems to affect my thumbs. During the year, when my hands are clear. A calous will appear. And the skin will peal, and the layers of skin will continue till they eventually bleed. Right now both thumbs are affected. I thought it might be a fungal infection. It could be a contact alegy? The only relief I get is by using tape. Help?

doctor1 MD

Dear Dr. I started feeling some irritation and pain in my anus 4-5 days back. It was occurring after morning stool. After a day I started feeling irritation in my aus and near by the whole day and was not able to sit properly which is occuring till now. In morning it bleeded and paining. the skin near anus area has dried up and irritating me. Is it piles or some fungal infection ?

doctor1 MD

hi doc . my name is alvin .when i was 15 i had fungal infection in my inner thighs .i have used some medicines at that time now there is no infection but the skin there became darker is there any surgical method to get rid of this.already i have applied too much ointments in that area and i am dissapointed.please help me in this

doctor1 MD

My daughter is overseas and has asked about a rash she has developed: First one, now two, salmon-colored slightly raised patches of approximately 2 and 3 centimeters, respectively. One is just anterior to her left axilla, the other is on her...

doctor1 MD

My ESR Test Result: 30mm/hr in 1st hour and 2nd hour 60mm/hr why it’s come like can you please explain. Last 2 weeks on word i ma getting itching .what the reason The doctor has started working on your question. Once the doctor submits the answer,...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, The inner skin of my thighs are becoming black and with small hard pimples . Please advise some medications as one of the pimple is paining and during itching has got open as well