Suggest treatment for fungal infection in toe nails

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 17 May 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,

I have got some fungal infection in both my Toe nails (in my feet). The nails doesn't have the regular white color and rather have gone little off-white. In addition I have captured similar but very less fungal infection on the tips (only) of the following fingers of both my hands: Left Ring Finger, Right Index finger and Right middle finger. I do not feel any pain or irritation in any of these fingers, but, I just want to know what happened and how to cure it.

Please let me know some medication for the same.

Please let me know if you need any other information from my side.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I would like to see images of your affected toe nails and finger nails to confirm diagnosis of fungal nail infection/onychomycosis.

Usually in fungal infection of nails, we add any of these medicines
Oral terbinafine or fluconazole daily or itraconazole pulse therapy.
Topical ciclopirox or amorolfine based nail lacquers or clotrimazole/sertraconazole/terbinafine lotion.

Now what would be the best therapy in your case can be confirmed, once I have seen the images. So please upload the images by clicking on upload image/report icon which is on right side of query page. You may also send the images to YYYY@YYYY and mention ATTN- Dr kalpana Pathak in subject line.

Waiting to hear from you.

Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 16 hours later
Wow! Thank you very much Doctor Kalpana for such a quick reply!!!

I have uploaded images. Please take a look and refer the best therapy to me.

Thanks again,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
these do not look like fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for uploading the pics.
The nail changes probably cannot be attributed to fungal infection.
Your left finger has a white spot which is known as leuconychia. The right index finger has pits. In the image I am not able to appreciate nail changes in right middle finger. Your great toe nails show change in texture of nails. The nails appear rough.
So changes are more of nail dystrophy.

In your case, my treatment would be
A supplement rich in biotin (like perfectil/ follihair new/vb7 forte/novophane plus etc.). Take it once daily
Apply a steroid lotion over affected areas twice in a day mometasone lotion or betamethasone lotion twice in a day.

You may follow above suggestions and get back for follow up after a month.

Hope this helped.