Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 773 Questions
Extremely malodorous, moist and red irritation in groin. Upper inside thighs and folds and under testicles. Halobetasol propionate seems to be Dr.'s answer to all skin issues lately. It is a temporary fix and I wasn't told what exactly the issue is.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tinea cruris et corporis Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to XXXXXXX I have read your query and understood your concern. It seems you are suffering from a skin condition known as TINEA CRURIS et CORPORIS. It is fungal infection of skin involving usually groin area, upper thigh and area around it. It is characterised by red colored itchy rash which gets only temporarily relieved by steroids like halobetasol, which is not the correct treatment for such infection. I usually prescribe antifungals like oral fluconazole or terbinafine along with topical creams containing antifungals also to be applied over the lesions twice daily. For symptomatic relief, antihistaminics may be added like levocetrizine and allegra. I will highly advice you to stop applying halobetasol cream. It only exacerbates the infection . Additionally i also advice my patients to wash and change the clothes daily. I hope i am able to solve your query. If you have further query, you may ask me. Thanx. Stay healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin 54 minutes later
Thank you. Which topical creams might you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: terbinafine/sertaconazole/miconazole Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome again. I usually prescribe antifungal cream containing terbinafine/ sertaconazole/miconazole. All are very effective in treatment of fungal infection. These need to be applied twice daily over the lesions. In groin folds, i also recommend to apply clotrimazole containing dusting powders 2-3 times a day. Keep the part clean and dry . This is my best advice for you. If you have further queries, you may ask me. Else, kindly close the discussion and rate it.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor