question-icon

Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin region

Posted on Wed, 26 Mar 2014
Question: Hi i have an itch in the groin area for some time. I have tried Candid B cream and that didn't work. Withfield Oinment while this is relieving the itch it is not removing it. Lotrizone cream is curing it or a while but after about 3 weeks it comes back. Could you recommend something for this since it is very annoying and uncomfortable. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul (1 hour later)
Brief Answer: Steroid creams lead to recurrence Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . Now you seem to have developed a fungal infection in the groin region . The main problem in your case is that of recurrence . I would like to tell you that since you are using a steroid cream for this condition, the condition will never heal completely . You simply need to apply a topical antifungal like canestan cream over the affected areas twice a day . Do not apply any steroids since they do not heal the infection, instead they simply mask the signs of infection for a while and on stopping their application, the infection tends to reappear. Apply the medicine continously for atleast two weeks. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it . Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease sweating . Take oral antihistamine like claritin for the associated itching . Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul
Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist