Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin region

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
Hi i have an itch in the groin area for some time. I have tried Candid B cream and that didn't work. Withfield Oinment while this is relieving the itch it is not removing it. Lotrizone cream is curing it or a while but after about 3 weeks it comes back. Could you recommend something for this since it is very annoying and uncomfortable. Thanks
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Steroid creams lead to recurrence Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . Now you seem to have developed a fungal infection in the groin region . The main problem in your case is that of recurrence . I would like to tell you that since you are using a steroid cream for this condition, the condition will never heal completely . You simply need to apply a topical antifungal like canestan cream over the affected areas twice a day . Do not apply any steroids since they do not heal the infection, instead they simply mask the signs of infection for a while and on stopping their application, the infection tends to reappear. Apply the medicine continously for atleast two weeks. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it . Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease sweating . Take oral antihistamine like claritin for the associated itching . Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor