• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin area

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i had a penis fungal infection about a month ago. Went to an urgent care the prescribed ketocanzole and clydmycin for antibiotic. They originally prescribed bactrim but I was on that already for broncial infection so they did clyndymcin. After a few days urine urgency was crazy so my GP prescribed CIpro. I did that and KEtocanzole for 14 days.

I still have urine dribble alot. I went back to the urgent care. They prescbied omniceff but said wait until the urine culture came back. I did and it was negative.

I'm still dribbling alot.....pee is clear. Should I take the omnicef?????

I'm 44 male
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, skip the Omnicef.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

You have been on a lot of antibiotics which would cover most bacterial urinary tract and bacterial prostatic infections. Given that your urine culture came back clean for bacteria, I highly doubt that it is a bacterial infection that is causing the dribbling. So no, I would not recommend taking the Omnicef, which is a cephalosporin antibiotic to kill bacteria.

I am wondering if at any time you actually had a bacterial urinary tract infection. Was a culture done before this recent visit to confirm the presence of bacteria?

While a UTI can cause urinary incontinence (is that what you mean by dribbling? i.e. that urine comes out when you don't want it to? Or do you mean that you can't pass much urine when you try to urinate - only a small flow?), there are other causes that are possible. Anything that is irritating along the genitourinary tract can do this. If the dribbling started after taking the antibiotics, they may be suspect. Some foods (spicy, acidic), alcohol, caffeine, and some medications can do it too. Things that cause obstruction along the tract (including urinary tract stones) can also.

At this point I think it's time to see your regular physician (rather than urgent care staff) to assess whether the fungal infection has resolved, and evaluate you further.

So in answer to your question, no, don't take the Omnicef.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh