• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin area

Posted on Wed, 2 Nov 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor.. I am 18 years male.. From XXXXXXX I had ringworm on my inner thighs and balls and butcheeks.. For around 1 years.. I had dengue and UTI infection back then. And its happening since then... It was so itchy.. Self cured but whenever i had sweat. It developed again..
I took homeopaty medicins. But they did not cured it well.. Now i showed it to a dermatologist back one month. and he said its Tinea Cruris/Corporis.. Now the medicin worked but i have it all over my penis and a couple on the place where the elastic of underwear usually sticks..(as i dont know what that place is called). I also have vitiligo on my genetals and lips for around 4 years but it self cures time by time so its not a big deal anyway... So please suggest me something so that i can get rid of it. Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need some further details regarding..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,
I've gone through your details and understand your concern,

From your description, it seems like Tinea Cruris only, yes some of them are quite resistant so you need to strictly follow all the advises, (medicine is just a part of it, there're several other aspects of management for this)..yes,the dengue and UTI can certainly lower the immune system thus making you prone to this..

First and foremost thing, you must not allow the sweat, it's the most common cause for recurrence..to prevent this, I'd advice you to take bath twice daily..keep the area clean and dry.. The area is called Inguinal region..always use a separate towel for wiping the region..

After bath, preferably use Blow-dryer to dry it off..

Use only cotton underwear..stay away from humid places..maintaining genital hygiene is extremely important..

Start taking Sit'z bath with 1 small cup of Baking Soda with 2 small cups of salt mixed in a tub of XXXXXXX warm water, sit in it for 15-20 min twice daily for next 1 week and afterwards, use blow dryer to dry it off afterwards..

You haven't mentioned which medications have you tried so far..let me know the specific names, dosage, duration that you've taken so that I can opine on that further..

Meanwhile start following all these advises without any further delay..

Do let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist