Suggest treatment for frozen shoulders

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What is frozen shoulder and how it can be treated
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to tendon inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Frozen shoulder is an irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa when doing overhead activity.
Usually, there is enough room between the Acromion and the rotator cuff so that the tendons slide easily underneath the acromion as the arm is raised. But each time the arm is raised, there is a bit of rubbing or pinching on the tendons and the bursa. With overuse, this can cause irritation and swelling of the bursa.
There are a group of muscles and tendons which form a covering around the head of your upper arm bone and attach it to your shoulder blade. This group is collectively called the rotator cuff muscles and the inflammation of the tendons causes frozen shoulder.

This is commonly found in people who do activities like swimming, tennis, baseball, badminton, paper hanging, construction, or painting.

It causes local swelling and tenderness in the front of the shoulder and initially it presents as minor pain but gradually it causes severe pain and loss of motion.

You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular problems. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later

Dr. Proven,

Thank you for the answer, one more question can the Orthpedician conclude the examination without MRI

I have visited one yesterday and after explaining to him the symptoms he told me it's frozen shoulder and I need to go for weekly injection for 5 weeks, and the fourth one need to be done under full anesthesia .????

Shoul I proceed for this treatment or look for second opinion in specialized hospital.

Brief Answer:
You cannot be sure about diagnosis without MRI scan.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Only after an examination, a presumptive diagnosis can be made but ideally the treatment should be started only after the diagnosis is confirmed by proper investigations like MRI scan.
It is best to take a second opinion and get the MRI scan done.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj