• question-icon

Suggest treatment for frozen shoulder in a diabetic

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have frozen shoulder from an injury (falling down the stairs) 9 months ago. It is about 80 to 90% healed thankfully. I’m worried that something that happened yesterday could cause it to freeze again though. I reached for something in the back of my car and felt a slight tweak. Quickly it felt back to normal and it still feels fine now. However, I remember my physical therapist telling me a story of someone who did this and then their shoulder began freezing a few weeks later. Is it unlikely my shoulder will freeze again? If I stay active and do my physical therapy exercises will that ensure that it doesn’t freeze? I don’t have diabetes like many people with frozen shoulder. After my injury 9 months ago, for a while I didn’t use the arm for many things. I thought this was protecting it since it hurt but I think that’s what made it freeze. So I’m really hoping that if I stay active, it won’t freeze again but I’m worried.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry. It won't recur

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Usually Frozen shoulder lasts only for 2 years after which is the recovery stage.

Recurrence is rare in mild trauma. Usually Rotator cuff injuries can cause similar symptoms which may have confused your Physiotherapist.

Do not worry. It wouldn't recur again. Do continue exercising and stay healthy.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon