Suggest treatment for frothy stool in child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is four and half months old. She has green frothy stool 4-5 times since 9-days. Doctor has initially subscribed "Ascazin" and "Lactaze". But the condition has not improved. So now he has subscribed antibiotic (Colistin Sulfate for Oral Suspension U.S.P) and "Bifilac". Should I give her antibiotic or wait for some more days. She has no fever.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not use antibiotics - answer my questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi...DO NOT USE ANTIBIOTICS AT THIS AGE GROUP.

I have a few questions for you -

1. Does the loose stools occur soon after feeding?
2. Is the kid passing urine normally (frequency and quantity)?
3. Is there any blood in the motion?
4. Is the tummy distended?
5. Does he have any green or bilious vomiting?

Please get back to me with answers to above questions and I will be glad to help you out.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 29 minutes later
Ans: Yes

Ans: Yes (Around 10 to 12 times)

3. Is there any blood in the motion?
Ans: No

4. Is the tummy distended?
Ans: No

Ans: No vomiting
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its not diarrhea - its gastrocolic reflex

Detailed Answer:
Hi....
What your kid is having is not a diarrhea and is only a gastro-colic reflux. It is quite common for babies of this age group t pass small amount of diarrhea or loose stools soon after feeds. This need not be treated as diarrhea and especially antibiotics are not indicated.

When the baby takes milk , the stomach expands - then when it is contracting it sets off a wave form which moves down the intestines and when that wave reaches the lower down rectum, a small quantity of the stool is evacuated out. This is the basis for gastro-colic reflex. Do not worry.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

No need to use any medicines for this.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 18 minutes later
Thanks for your clarification.
Till how long "gastro-colic reflex" exists in infants?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
4-7 MONTHS OF AGE

Detailed Answer:
Hi...It can be there till 4-7 months of age. I have seen it going on in some babies without hampering the growth or development. So do not worry about it.

MOST OF ALL - IT DOESN'T REQUIRE ANY MEDICATIONS - ESPECIALLY ANTIBIOTICS.

If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely.

Please find the link below -
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696