Suggest treatment for frequent urination, complete voiding when suffering from urinary infection

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm having bladder/urination problems and I have been seeing 'my urologist.' I have been with him for a number of years to monitor or treat my prostate. I have never had Prostate surgery, yet.

The medicines I have been taking include, but not limited to Pramipexole(generic for Mirapex). The Prampexole is primarily for my RLS and sleep aid. Tamsulosin for a number of yrs., 2 per day. 500 mg Metformin. Additionally, Crestor, metoprolol, 325 mg. Aspirin, C Q-10

I have had A Fib surgery in Dec. 2012 and my Gall bladder removed several yrs. ago.

I have also taken for short periods Clonazepam, Ropinrole Hcl, and Carbidopa . Levodopa.

My Urologist did not agree with an Emergency room diagnosis several months ago ot a unrinary infection--he believe it to be "Prostitus" prescribed a medication for that. One of the above listed.

Subsequently, mentioned a bladder infection; however, one of the above meds listed was also known to cause bladder problems (or maybe it was Prostate?), in any event, I stopped the medication and got on Clonazepam for 14 days.

After my last visit, he suggested I pickup some Saw Palmetto, 160mg, on the way home which I did and am taking two pills a day

However, I still have problems completely voiding, frequent unrination, some discomfort, and emissions or leaking from my penus periodically after I have used the bathroom.

What do you recommend--I will appreciate you assistance.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your Symptoms are likely to be due to Enlarged Prostate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have obstructive voiding symptoms due to Enlarged Prostate

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) What is your age ?
2) Have you ever done Ultrasound Scanning of the abdomen ?if yes what is the size of the prostate ?and what is the post void urine residue reported ?

You have been taking Tomsulosin since couple of years but stilll have urinary symptoms .

In a given situation discuss with your Urologist regarding the need for surgical intervention and doing endoscopic resection of prostate (TURP) to resolve your problems for forever and improve quality of life .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
In answer to your two questions.

I am 81 yrs. old and do not know or maybe don't recall whether an ultra sound scanning of the abdomen has been done. I know a biopsy of the prostate was done and the report was "good or Ok."

I believe over he years my PSA results have been good and the digital exams have resulted in me taking short term medications on at least two occasions.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get Ultrasound Scanning done to asses the size of the prostate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for feedback .

Looking at your age of 81 years your Urologist has rightly prescribed you Tomsulosin to improve your urine flow .

If your general health is fine and your Urologist does not see any risk in going for surgery you may still think of going for endoscopic surgery of TURP.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist