Suggest treatment for frequent urination at night

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 28 May 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SLEEPING, Many people think it may be sleep apnea or something else....my problem is that I have to use the bathroom just about every hour. I think it is called Nuturia. Is there something that can be done for this problem. I have gotten up to urinate every hour or two hours for almost 2 years. It is affecting my health.
Thank you XXXX
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Polysomnography examination

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

According to the history in my opinion it is import to differentiate you can not sleep due to sleep problems or problems due to urination.

For this for sleep apnea you should do an examination called Polysomnography.If it is positive than your doctor will probably order a CPAP machine for you to use it during sleeping.
If negative than the cycle of urination should be evaluated.

Please discuss with your doctor for the above or you can attach me the results and i will help you again.

Hope to have been helpful

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 8 hours later
I have tried the crap machine routine . It is not that that wakes me up. It is my bladder having to relieve itself. Every hour or two all night for years
Please answer the question about nuturia?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Nocturia may be a symptom of a variety of health conditions. It may represent a developing condition like chronic kidney disease. It may also be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea, overactive bladder, diabetes, or, heart and liver problems.

As you explain the history in my opinion the CPAP is not working and the sleep apnea is not controlled.Probably BiPAP may help you better.

Or your doctor should examine you further for other causes of nocturia than sleep apnea (as i explained above) with further tests and examinations like abdominal ultrasound, heart ultrasound,CRP,Urine test etc.

Please discuss with him for the above because he knows better you actual clinical picture.

Hope to have been helpful.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 16 minutes later
Yes this answer has been helpful
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I am glad to hear it from you

Dr.Jolanda