Suggest treatment for frequent urination and blood during urination

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been urinating frequently and sparingly - it pains me at the tip of my penis whenever I go. This morning, I had urinated and for the first time a few drops of blood came out. It happened again @2 hours ago.
I had been bouncing around in a Mako boat a week ago Saturday and then had sexual intercourse with my wife, which was when the pain while urinating started.
Any suggestions?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to UTI .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that frequency for urination and burning at the tip of penis that you have could be due to UTI.

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime and urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water .To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

However considering your age you need to consult qualified urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to rule out Enlarged Prostate which is common after the age of 55 years .
1) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and pelvis with post void residual urine volume 2) Serum PSA

Further treatment will depend upon the results of these tests and final diagnosis ,

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.