Suggest treatment for frequent painful urination

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have pain and frequent urination but was not diagnosed as having a uti. I have been drinking lots of sugary sodas recently. Might that cause this uncomfortable situation
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some causes of painful urination without an infection.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry you are having this problem. It is good that the nurse sent your urine for a culture, because that is the only way to truly know whether it is or isn't an infection, and what antibiotics will be most effective if an infection.

But if your dysuria (pain on urinating) is not caused by infection, there are other things that can cause it.

In postmenopausal women, one of the most common causes is from the effects of low levels of estrogen on the genitourinary tissues. Treatment for this is topical application of estrogen cream, usually with an applicator into the vagina. This helps the urethral tissue as well. Sometimes doctors have women just put a dab on the outside.

Local trauma, such as from intercourse or bicycling, can also cause dysuria as can scented products ( soap or a new laundry detergent, TP etc)., bubble bath, and feminine hygiene products.

Urinary tract stones can also cause dysuria, but this is more uncommon.

You asked about the sugary sodas causing the problem, and this is possible. Drinks with corn syrup or artificial sweeteners can be irritants. Sometimes carbonated drinks, caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate) and alcoholic drinks can irritate too. As can foods that are very acidic such as citrus fruits and tomatoes.

I would suggest you drink plain water for now. You can also have cranberry juice but probably best to make your own to avoid the high sweetener content in prepared cranberry juice. If you can find a store that carries bottled cranberry juice concentrate, you can mix that with water, and if too unpalatable, add a little unsweetened apple juice.

But mostly just drink water.

If your symptoms do not resolve with dietary or lifestyle changes then do see a physician for evaluation of other possible causes and treatment, such as, possibly, the estrogen cream.

I hope this information has been helpful.