Suggest treatment for frequent ear infections in children

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello, my 2 year old has her 3rd double ear infection in 2 months her temp has been up for 4 days now. today is the 3rd day of antibiotics. Is it ok that her temp is still up? Her temp is around 38.5 during the day but peak during the night anywhere up to 40.7 degrees. I thought the temp would have broken by now. She also has a cold and just got over conjunctivitis. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meftal P needs to be given if paracetamol/tylenol does not help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Respiratory tracts infections are common in children and most often viral in nature. They may be associated with ear infections as in case of your child. Antbibiotics are ineffective in viral infections. Even assuming the infection to be bacterial, since the antibiotics take some time to be effective, you need to be patient and need to complete the course. Meanwhile the fever needs to be controlled by some means or the other. Give tepid sponging. Paracetamol/tylenol should be helpful. If that does not help, the next step would be to go for Meftal P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective in reducing the temperature. But it is a prescription medicine and you would need your doctor to write it down for you. It can be given independent to the timing of the dose of paracetamol/tylenol but should be given at a minimum interval of 6-8 hours between doses.

Sprinkle the eyes frequently with plain water. That should help in the conjunctivitis.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician