Suggest treatment for frequent dizzy spells

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I m dizzy. it started about two years ago. It comes and go's it feels like I have fluid in my ears. I looked up vertigo online I think that maybe the problem. It's back it usually hits me at night when I go to bed. That is the worst. Threw out the day I just have to be careful not to move to fast. Sometime it last for weeks sometimes months. I'm a 49 year old female.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further evaluation required

Detailed Answer:
Hi Snodlingrass,
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
I think you currently have aural fullness and dizziness as symptoms. Vertigo means reeling of head.
From the history, I think you have developed labyrinthitis, or Meniere's disease or some internal ear pathology. A detailed history and clinical examination are required to rule out other differential diagnoses including impacted wax, auditory nerve pathology, fixation of middle ear bones, neoplasm etc.
I need to have the following information to exclude at least some of the differential diagnoses-
1. Did you have any episode of viral fever in the last 15 days?
2. Did you have any ear infection in last one month?
3. Do you diabetes, hypertension or any other chronic illness? If yes, please specify the medications for them.
4. Do you have vertigo (reeling of head) as your head position changes? Do you have tinnitus (ringing sensations in the ear) and/ or hyperacusis (intolerance to everyday sounds) associated?
5. Do you have any difficulty in walking or standing or maintaining body balance?
6. Do you have any difficulty in hearing?
7. Are you exposed to prolonged loud noise?
8. Do you have adequate sleep at night? Is your sleep interrupted? Do you have any recent emotional stress or anxiety?
However, you should also get clinically examined by an ENT consultant to rule out the above mentioned diseases.
For the time being my recommendations are-
1. Please take adequate rest and have relaxation sessions at least once in a day.
2. Avoid extra salt, caffeine, chocolate.
3. Low sodium diet is encouraged. Good oral hydration should be maintained.
4. For symptomatic relief you can have Meclizine tablet 25 mg at bedtime for a couple of days. But, you should consult your ENT doctor at the earliest.
Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D