Suggest treatment for frequent dehydration in an elderly person

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: My mother is 85 years old. She does not drink enough liquids to stay hydrated. She will drink water at meal time (breakfast and dinner) but any other time she will only take a small sip of water. She has been hospitalized for dehydration in the past. What can you suggest I do to keep her hydrated?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see details for measures that you can take

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HealthcareMagic. I'm Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf and I will look into your concerns.

I have gone through your query in detailed and would try to help you in the best possible way. I understand that you concern is to avoid dehydration of your mother. Their could be a number of measures that you can consider in dealing with this condition:

1. Motivate her to take even sips.
2. You can make her different drink products like fresh fruit juices, milk shakes, etc. Sometimes one does not drinks water but prefers to take other fluids.
3. Make your habit to ask her after frequent intervals regarding fluids. You can take fluids yourself to her and ask her to drink as much as she wants. Do not force her because in that case she will hesitate.
4. Try to take her her out for walk in the evening. It will keep her fresh & elevate her mood.
5. Avoid caffeine and alcohol related products because they have a diuretic effect leading to a loss of body water and causing dehydration.
6. Certain foods have a high water content; like soup, yogurt, fruits and vegetables. These foods can help seniors meet the daily water requirement as well.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wishing you both a good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana