Suggest treatment for frequent cold and runny nose

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Respected Doctor,

Six months back, my wife -30 years having a frequent cold, every day early morning, she is affected with sneeze and running nose. past six months we went to several doctors, it's not controlleled at all, later on a four months back an asthma specialist had given tablets telekast-l kid and rablet 10 to consume every night one tablet. currently it's controlled. but if she stops intake of tablet, she is getting cold. past four months, we are consuming rhe tablet as per doctor advice. I am curious about, whether i am in a right direction of consuming the tablet. whether it will be cured, or do i need to do some other test. please help us and guide us to have healthy living, we are at pondicherry, please provide us reference and support further to cure my wife. thanks
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be a case of allergic rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on HCM. After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your wife seems to be suffering from allergic rhinitis considering the fact that she has history of recurrent cold that has responded to Telekast L kid.
2. However it needs to be evaluated. A local examination of the nose and paranasal sinuses by an ENT specialist will help.
3. Investigations that may be required are Complete blood count including absolute eosinophil count, serum IgE levels and Xray Paranasal sinuses (Water's view)
4. Instead of tb telekast L kid, Telekast L tablet was also an alternative option since telekast l kid is primarily a pediatric formulation.
5. If diagnosis of allergic rhinitis is confirmed then a local nasal spray like AZEFLO nasal spray may be started by your doctor.
6. Avoidance of all allergic triggers li8ke dust, pollens, etc. is recommended
6. Thus at present I would advise you to continue your follow up with chest specialist, get an ENT specialist opinion and get the patient evaluated as mentioned above.

I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 days later
Thanks for the brief explanation,
1. attached requested blood test report.
2. Need your opinions based on blood report
3. last saturday, 3rd oct, my wife is suffering from fever/vomit/fatigue
4. this blood report taken on 8th oct.
5. now her fever/vomit/fatigue has come down.
6. i need your suggestion especially on allergic rhinitis, whether it will be cured or not,
7. to have a speedy recovery what are all the things needs to be followed.
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rhinitis can be medically controlled.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query.
I could not find your attached reports. It's nice to know that fever and vomiting episode has subsided. Do remember that the cause of allergic rhinitis is an allergic tendency of your body or atopy. This innate tendency of your body cannot be changed however we can identify the possible allergic triggers and anti allergic medications can be used to keep the allergy symptoms under control.
Dr. Mishra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 5 hours later
Thanks for the answers. uploaded blood test reports. please do the needful one.
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cbc shows low platelet count.

Detailed Answer:
Had a look at the reports. The cbc shows a low platelet count. You need to do a repeat cbc , dengue IgG and IgM and get the patient clinically examined by a physician urgently. Considering the fever episode there is a possibility of dengue infection. The good sign is that patient has symptomatically improved. As far as allergic rhinitis is concerned the management has been discussed in my previous post.
Dr. Mishra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina