Suggest treatment for frequent bowel movements

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am experiencing frequent bowel movements, as in every time I go to restroom. The movement is a long, continuous thin, soft product. Very sticky to clean. Often there is no sensation of needing to eliminate, but when I go to restroom or change clothes there is residue occurs at night or even in day. I am recovering from an episode of "idiopathic stroke symptoms" from October and November. That resulted in paralysis of left side. Still in PT/OT for hand and foot issues. I take numerojs medications, but nothing new to my system. I have NO appetite, but have gained about 10 lbs in past 2 months.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Most likely its gastroenteritis,usually gastroenteritis is by viral infection(Nova virus) and is self limiting,Takes few weeks to settle down so most likely you are having either bacterial or protozoal infection or a mixed infection.
I would suggest you to go for few tests
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count.

If stool test is positive for bacterial or protozoal infection.Start taking Zithromax(Azithromycin 500 mg once daily) and secnidazole 1 gram daily for 5 days.
Along with it take Fybrogel husk,It will increase the bulk of your stools.
Tab imodium 4mg stat folowed by 2 mg twice daily can be added to contriol frequency of motions
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad