Suggest treatment for fractured ribs

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I had a car accident 3 weeks ago and fractured 3 ribs . I had a CT chest scan now with the attached report. Please could you give me advise on the report and should i be concerned of anything from the results?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please attach your reoorts

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Sorry to hear about your accident.

I am presently unable to find any attached reports.

Kindly attach your report and I will get back to you at the earliest.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 4 minutes later
Find attached the report
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may need to take rest and pain killers

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXX
Thanks for writing back with report attached.

Your CT scan shows small fractures involving left 6th, 7th and 8th ribs on the back. This usually heals by itself with time. You may however need to take rest and limit physical activities for better healing.

You may continue taking pain killers till such time that you are comfortable.

I suppose in 3 weeks your rib fractures have started showing signs of healing.

Rest of the report details are fine.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any further doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 19 minutes later
What about the very mild pericardial effusion that showed on the result ? Please advise and thank you
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physiological is used for normal finding

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing back with an update.

I have taken note of the mild pericardial effusion. This is termed very mild with possibility of being physiological. The word physiological is used for a normal finding. The pericardial space normally contains 15-50 mL of fluid, which serves as lubrication for the visceral and parietal layers of the pericardium.

If it were abnormal, you should have developed cardiac complications by now and fortunately this has not happened in your case.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
The radiologist told me not to worry about it and forget about it and that he could have not wrote it on the report I keep worrying . Is this common and how common is it in young adults ? Do you see it often ?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not very common but not unusual

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with an update.

This injury does not require any surgery and is best allowed to heal by itself. I see one such injury in about two to three months. Essentially there is nothing much to worry other than any pain that you may need to keep under control.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
I meant if the very mild pericardial effusion is common ? Which test is better to identify ct scan or echo ?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Echo is best investigation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Mild pericardial effusion on CT scan is very subjective and might differ with each patient. Echo is definitely the investigation to be done for evaluating pericardial effusion and grading it.

Mild pericardial effusions due to trauma is not common except in severe injury.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek