• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fracture of t5 vertebrae

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My wife has a severe fracture of T5 with bone fragments effecting the spinal cord. She is unable to walk or stand on her own. It has effected her blader and cannot urinate on her own.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgical fixation is needed.

Detailed Answer:

A fracture of T5 that is affecting the spinal cord needs to be surgically fixed to remove the compression of the spinal cord. This will restore her normal bladder functions also.

Delay in surgery can cause a permanent damage to the spine. You need to consult a Neurosurgeon for the necessary fixation of the fractured vertebra.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wishing her good health.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon