Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
192 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for fracture in the spine post an accident

Answered by
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1209 Questions

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a fall in the middle of May,(I was in a great deal of pain) went to the ER & they took xrays, said I needed to see pain management an Anestheoglist. He had an MRI taken and then four weeks later told me I had a fracture in my spine. He said he would require a socraplasty, and then had me take another mri. Who performs this "surgery". do I have to search for an orthopedic surgeon?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
take adequate rest and use belt

Detailed Answer:
Hi kittysampson
How was your day?
Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.

considering your age,u definitely might be having some amount of osteoporosis, due to which spine fractures are quite common at this age.
I would have guided you better if you had shared the mri images with me, to see what exactly the problem was.
But from the history and reports you have mentioned, i know it pains a lot and pain killers definitely need to be avoided.
An orthopaedic surgeon or a neuro surgeon can be in a better position to tell you more about the treatment part.
Generally at our clinic, we do not do surgery of spine at such old ages as it is not free from complications and side effects.
I would suggest you to get yourself a spinal corset/ brace or a lumbosacral belt so that the fractured spine will have some sort of support when you ambulate.This itself will reduce the pain factor by about 50 %.

try using safe analgesics,local gel and hot fomentation. Take adequate rest. Try being in lying down position as far as possible.

such fractures generally heal in around 3 months time and the pain will gradually subside.
Take calcium tablets to heal the bones faster.

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     
I hope your question has been answered.
Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil,
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Osteoporosis

doctor1 MD

Have had fractured ribs for 5 months now. Dr. Said it could take up to a year to heal. So far I am wearing a TENS unit, have a pain cream, going to...

doctor1 MD

My 64 yr old husband has been suffering from M.E. for six years. He also suffers from eczema and osteoporosis (probably caused by his having...

doctor1 MD

I recently had 2 Epidaural Lumbar Spine Injections that were moderately successful. But shortly thereafter I had a Chest X-ray, and discovered that...

doctor1 MD

sir my mother is suffering fron osteoporosis. having value -2.9 ( T-score). she has operated fro cancer 2 yrs back. she has heart problem and...

doctor1 MD

I'm 27 year old female from past few days I have got joint pains . especially while climbing up and down the stairs along with the cracking sound....

doctor1 MD

I am a 72 year old woman. For the past week I have been getting excruciating thigh muscle cramping thinking it was sciatica . My doc doesn't have...

doctor1 MD

If I have rheumatoid arthritis , what is safest medication that also helps osteoporosis? How can I reduce swelling in feet and hands? I'm taking...