Suggest treatment for fracture in fifth metatarsal bone in left foot

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Dec 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I broke the fifth metatarsal bone in my left foot. For two and a half weeks I couldn't walk on it. I was given a new cast and can now walk on it. Over the past three days I've gotten cramps in my leg. They last only a few seconds and don't hurt very much. I'm scheduled to fly long haul about a month from now (two weeks after the cast comes off). I'm an elementary teacher so I'm on my feet often and don't spend much time sitting behind a desk. I'm worried it could be a sign of a blood clot.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry about blood clots.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
You have history of trauma and cast application.

Now you have mild cramps in legs. It is very uncommon that your intermittent mild cramps are due to blood clots.

Your cramps may be due to dehydration, calcium deficiency or fatigue. Nothing to worry about blood clots.

No need of aspirin. If you have pain then analgesic drug like ibuprofen is helpful. Otherwise no any medicine required for that.

You should take calcium and vitamin D supplements. It will help in healing as well as cramps.

Don't worry about blood clots. Just be relaxed.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.