Suggest treatment for foul-smelling diarrhea

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my son is 20 years old. Last 2 days he is having smelly loose motions(light brownish.yellowish). He does not have fever. What should we give, medicines, food etc. Any other advice
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to parasitic or bacterial infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. It can be due to parasitic or bacterial infection. You can give him ORS , tender coconut water , black tea with lemon and sugar , bananas , curd & rice porridge, yogurt etc. Bifilac (bifidobacterium) you can continue. You can also apply hot water bags on abdomen.
Usually these are self limiting and last around 3 days. If no improvement then go for a stool routine examination and in case of signs of infection antibiotic therapy will be required. I would suggest combination of antibiotics like ofloxacin and ornidazole , and probiotics like saccharomycces boulardii in such cases. You can approach your GP for this in that case.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 15 hours later
Thanks a lot Doctor. What is the dosage of Ofloxacin, how much mg and how many days?

Also can i give Neutrolin b Plus twice a day instead of Bifalac?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can give nutrolin b instead of bifilac.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

You can give nutrolin b plus instead of bifilac. Nutrolin b also has probiotics. Nutrolin b plus you can give 1 teaspoon thrice daily.
Ofloxacin antibiotic is a prescription drug. Sorry! We are not allowed to prescribe medication through this forum. You can ask your GP for prescription.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.