• question-icon

Suggest treatment for foreign object stuck in the ear drum

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: My ent says I have a fold in my left ear drum and there is something inside this fold that can't be extracted.
It is beginning to affect my earing. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It should be extracted!

Detailed Answer:

A foreign body which is already causing difficulties in hearing must be extracted. If this is difficult under local anesthesia, I suggest that you go ahead and accept general anesthesia for this. Removing it is very important and the sooner the better.

Until it is removed, no one can tell what it is for sure. I hope he plans on sending this to the pathologist for diagnostic purposes if the nature is not immediately evident.

I wish you well and hope this helps and guides in the decision making process. Keep me updated on this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Chobufo Ditah