Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for foreign object indejestion

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
sir please advise me problem, sir my son 6 years old 40 hours before swallowed one staple pin , how to find out where is in stomach ?, x ray report in no detected in stapler pin, what i do ? tell me sir please, son is now alright , please u give your phone number sir,
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: observation, close follow up with doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Swallowed metal objects are usually seen on X rays if they are present within the body. But some times small objects like pins visibility on X rays may be obscured by artifacts and feces in the intestines. Swallowed small metal objects usually passed in stools within 24 to 48 hours of ingestion. In this case you may not see metal shadows on X ray if it is taken after this duration. There are chances of the staple pin to get struck in the mucosa of upper part of food pipe. In that situation you may not find on X ray. Therefore be in follow up with the Pediatrician and watch for symptoms such as vomitings, pain abdomen, distention of stomach, black or red stools, constipation. If the child develops any of these, report to the doctor immediately. If needed you can go for Gastroenterologist opinion. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor