Suggest treatment for fordyce spots

Posted on Tue, 29 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: How to treat fordyce spots
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See a Dermatologist to discuss electro-desiccation

Detailed Answer:
Fordyce spots, which as you might know, are sebaceous glands that are active in the wrong place (not around a hair follicle). They are mostly a cosmetic problem and don't really cause physical problems.

That said, if you want them treated, I'd advise you see a dermatologist for options. If possible, I'd recommend calling the Dermatology department of a university hospital to see if they have experience treating these. You want a dermatologist with experience about these.

One treatment is Electro-desiccation. This uses a CO2 laser to make the Fordyce spots less visible. It has been used with some success.

A very new technique with considerable promise with little to no recurrence is the Micro-punch. It is still somewhat experimental.

Pulsed XXXXXXX lasers have also been anecdotally reported to be effective in some cases. This is a laser treatment usually used for sebaceous gland hyperplasia (a skin disorder where the oil glands are enlarged). Pulsed XXXXXXX lasers tend to leave fewer scars than other methods. This method is often rather expensive.

I hope this information helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3131 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Laser treatment

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor I have a mild hirsutism (majorly on my lower face). I started with laser treatment therapy 3 years back but have found no improvement...

doctor1 MD

I am a writer, conducting research for a character who was severely burned, (2nd-3rd degree), over a great portion of her left side. This includes...

doctor1 MD

hi, i m 32 years old with pcod. i m obese and have body and facial hair growth.I m taking homeopathy treatment for last one year and i see that...

doctor1 MD

hii doctor i have a problem when i am using toilet in the morning i have sperm loss with urine. also sometimes when i have some sex feeling i also...

doctor1 MD

Hello, thanks for your time, I was kicked in the face on august 21st, leaving me with two black eyes. There is still discoloration where the...

doctor1 MD

Noticed swelling between ankle bone and sole of both feet. Recent vericose veins on shins are unsightly. Symptoms are blood pressure increased from...

doctor1 MD

I have had a headache in my right temple for three weeks. Had a CAT scan was completely normal. Tried Imitrex , Midrin , and a lot of...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

189 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction