• question-icon

Suggest treatment for for infection in a person with kidney stones

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have been told I have a stag horn stone that has caused my left kidney to stop functioning. The urologist says it is too risky to remove because I also have a pinched nerve in my back. The spine doctor doesn't want to inject a needle in my back because he says I have too much infection which could be spread. I have had Ct scans, mri's and X-rays. No one wants to help e. Where do I turn?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get the infection controlled first!

Detailed Answer:

A stag horn kidney stones causes urine to stand and leads to germ multiplication and an infection. The best approach is to drain this by inserting tubes through the back and administering antibiotics. This will also allow for urine drainage. As the infection is controlled, at the time the doctors will weight the surgical options available to them.

Best person to talk to at this time is the urologist. Surgeons will only come in later.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Keep me updated with progress as your disease is being treated.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 26 hours later
Thank you for your recommendation. I printed a copy and will see what my doctor says. I suspect he won't do anything because he still considers me to be too risky. I am not sure what I will do, because I thought doctors were supposed to help, not send you home because you are too risky. My primary care doctor was going to recommend a new urologist, but my current one was not going to suggest one for her to refer me to, so she was hoping the spine doctor would make the referral. Again thank you for letting me know there is still possibly something that can be done.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep me updated with your progress!

Detailed Answer:

Keep me updated as your primary doctor figures out the way forward.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 days later
I have made several calls to the spine doctor and to my primary care doctor and none have called back. Can you answer another question? I have been experiencing frequent bouts with verdigo lately and the meds are not working. Can this have anything to do with my other issues?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I don’t think so!

Detailed Answer:

I will say exercise some more patience and at least one of the doctors will get back to you. Can you also list the exact medications you are currently on at this time?

With vertigo, avoid walking in places far off the ground and without support until we understand more and address this fully.

I wish you well and hope to hear back from you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Chobufo Ditah