Suggest treatment for food stuck behind the soft palate

ENT Specialist
Question
Last night I threw up and I think a piece of food got stuck up behind my soft pallet and I can.feel it. I know.something is there and it feels like it is going to drop down but stays put. If I swallow, it goes back up then a few minutes later, same thing happens.
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepashree 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
food in nasopharynx. Consult with the doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Food stuck behind or above the soft palate, which means food in nasopharynx, can cause foreign body sensation and nose block.
You can violently inhale from nose and nasopharynx and pull out the food stuff.
If not, consult with a doctor, and get endoscopic examination and removal of the food stuff.
There is no home remedy for it.
Hope my answers have helped you. Pleased to help you further. Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for food stuck behind the soft palate 8 hours later
Should I be worried of the food rotting and turning into an infection?

Answered by Dr. Deepashree 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Usually small pieces of food in the nasopharynx come to the throat naturally along with the mucous flow.
If symptoms persists, for more than 48 hrs, then please consult with the doctor.
But food won't get rotten and infected.
Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.