Suggest treatment for food poisoning, vomiting, diarrhea, fever and stomach pain

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband ate a cheese dip that contained seafood that had been in refrigerator a week. He ha vomiting Tuesday am 1 am through the pm. He quit vomiting no blood ever started having dirreah late Tuesday and Wednesday am it started getting better around 7am again no blood. Had fever for only a short time Tuesday 101. He still feels tired stomach hurts from throwing up so much very little appetite
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Questions so that I can help:

Detailed Answer:

I'm sorry your husband has been so sick, and yes, it sounds like a gastroenteritis from food contamination or food poisoning.

I am not clear on the following:
How long has it been since he last vomited?
How long since his last diarrheal stool?
Is he urinating less than normal now?
Does he have any heart condition or taking any heart medications, blood pressure medication, or diuretic (water pills)?
Is he able to drink water, soda, or rehydrating fluids adequately today?

I'll write back after I hear back from you. Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
He hasn't vomited since Wednesday am still have liquid stools is eating some drinking water and gator aid some. urinate pretty normal. Takes no heart med. micardis 80/12.5 for blood pressure and ate lol 25 mg
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Ok, Micardis 80/12.5 contains hyrdorcholorothiazide which is a mild water pill that can cause some loss of potassium. And vomiting and diarrhea can cause a great deal of loss of potassium.

If you can get out to the store, buy some coconut water (NOT coconut milk - they are different). Coconut water is a better rehydration solution than Gatorade because it contains more potassium and less sugar.

I'm not sure what you meant at the end of your sentence "and ate lol 25 mg"?

In terms of foods that might help right now, rice, cooked in extra water for a longer period of time, can help slow down the diarrhea. Apple sauce (not raw apples), toast, and bananas are usually tolerated better than other foods too. Eat only small amounts at a time.

If he continues to have diarrhea, is getting weaker or light headed, he may need to go in to the urgent care or ER for an IV.