Suggest treatment for food allergy

Posted on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi,

I have had multiple acute/chronic health issues over 2 years. Abundant tests, some positive, most not. I recently ran out of solutions and had my blood tested for food allergens.
I have the results and would like to know if I need to remove them all from my diet or just some.
Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
All from 'Avoid' to be completely avoided

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and reports with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I have observed it carefully and would strongly advise you to completely exclude the following listed items from your diet:

-Cow's milk
-Eggs
-Almost all grains except oats and rice
-Brewer's yeast (beer included)
-Mushrooms
-Fruits (Avocados, bananas, grapefruit, oranges, red grapes and watermelons)
-Vegetables (Asparagus, black olives, cauliflower, cucumber, green pepper, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, squash mix, potatoes)
The above listed items will have to be completely avoided with no exceptions.

Whereas, the items listed under the moderate category can be tried once in a while (not too often), and if you can tolerate them then there is no harm is consuming them once in a while. But if at all you experience a reaction to them as well, then please delete the moderate category from your diet completely. The items in the low reaction category should not cause discomfort, and should be consumed with caution.

I am sorry to learn about the severe allergies that you have developed leaving you with a very restricted diet, but there is nothing much we can do and not much we can explain about allergic reactions and why/how they appear either.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always available to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
Hello!,

Thank you kindly for your thorough response.

Yes you answered just what I needed to know. I mean it seemed obvious but I didn't know how intense I should go in avoiding the items but you confirmed what I thought.

Thank you again! This is good piece of mind.

Oh one more question....Would you say I have Celiac Disease?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lovely question, but is an unresolved issue

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

I am glad I could make things clear, and would be more than happy to continue doing so for any further clarifications you need.

I need you to understand that both gluten-sensitivity and Celiac disease present with the exact same symptoms, and it is indeed difficult to confirm whether or not an individual has either of them without blood investigations. You should also know that an ongoing (or rather a never ending) debate on whether gluten-sensitivity is an independent condition or not makes most practising doctors summarise any allergies to gluten as a Celiac condition. I have not done any particular research on the topic and shall leave that to the many research teams working on the subject.

My approach is usually to test for Celiac markers in a patient presenting with gluten sensitivity to confirm or rule out Celiac diseases, and then come down with an accurate diagnosis. So I would recommend the markers for you as well ma'am, go ahead with this for a confirmed diagnosis.

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you, and I hope you understand why your question is a good yet common and unresolved one. Wishing you nothing but good luck and hoping that you live an asymptomatic and healthy life ahead.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 minutes later
Hello again,

I expected as much, I thought that maybe the 'Giladin' had something to do with diagnosing Celiac. No idea.
I shall see a doctor and mention testing for Celiac Markers as you suggested.

Thank you again; i really just needed a response from a professional on the matter and it has helped.

Kindly,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
It was my pleasure entirely

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I am more than happy to be of assistance, do not hesitate to write to me anytime in the future about anything, do remember that I am always here for you.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan