Suggest treatment for folliculitis

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 23 year old sexually active male. Recently got out of a relationship and slept around shortly after. I had a hernia surgery roughly 3 weeks ago. wasn't able to masterbate for a few weeks due to my stomach. I masterbate approximately 3 or 4 times a day with lube. As well as shave down there as well. sometimes I go against the hair and I'll get a ingrown hair and that's what I thought it was and I asked my doctor for some Mupirocin ointment 2%. I came across a single bump on my shaft and few days later shaved and got a ingrown hair next to it and tried pulling the hair out and only half came out. I can see the other half still in. I ended up picking at that but left the bump alone. does this look like a STD such as Genital herpes, warts or hpv? don't mind the redness I just took a shower and was scrubbing the ointment off with a rag. and in hot water. I am concerned about the lump type bump
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be folliculitis, doesn't look like STD

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs though they are not very clear.
It seems to be folliculitis which is due to inflammation of the hair follicle and is most likely related to your picking hair.
It is not looking like any STD like herpes or warts.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply mupirocin cream on the affected area twice daily for 2 weeks and if it doesn't show improvement in a week's time take oral antibiotics like tablet cephalexin 500 mg twice daily for 1 week.
It is a prescription drug and you need to see the doctor in person to get it.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
even though I see no hair follicle in the bump that has a somewhat hard touch to it. would that still fall under the description of a folliculitis?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still looks like folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Its not necessary that you will see a hair follicle in the bump.
The inflammation is lower down in the wall of the follicle and you see a lump on the surface.
The lump is formed due to improper response of the skin or due to inadequate treatment or due to manipulation.
According to me it still is due to folliculitis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana