Suggest treatment for folliculitis on penis

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have these puss filled little pimples that have grown around the base of my penis. They occurred a few days after I shaved and about 2 days after I had sexual contact with a female. The pimples look like they are in the place of hair follicles but after popping several of them they became irritated and raw. I'm not sure what I should do. I fear that I may have gotten an STD but the sex I had was protected.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most likely foliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome. These are not typical signs of STD and it looks to me like folliculitis due to ingrown hair. You should apply antibiotic cream and keep area dry and clean. If you notice penis discharge, pain during urination of fever then you should do testing. At this point I dont think this is required. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later
The spots that I popped grew very irritated and the skin where the "pimple" was died and fell off so now I have exposed raw skin. I also noticed 2 to 3 more dots around the area that are becoming pimples also
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
you need to apply mild steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
You should apply mild steroid cream such as Betrion or nistatine and wait for several days to see what happens. If there is no improvement you should do STD test
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad