Suggest treatment for flutter sensation in back of leg when sitting

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I feel aflutter in back of left leg only when sitting. Not while laying down or walking.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stretching of muscles can prevent cramps/flutter

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The Cramps/flutter is caused by hyper excitability of the nerves that stimulate the muscles. Cramps at rest are very common, especially in elderly people, but may be experienced at any age, including childhood. Rest cramps often occur during the night. Do you have these flutters more at night time?
The cause of cramps is as following-
1. Low blood levels of either calcium or magnesium directly increase the excitability of both the nerve endings and the muscles they stimulate. This may be a predisposing factor for the spontaneous true cramps. Cramps can also occur in excessive vomiting, dehydration.
2. On drugs which causes excessive urination. Leading to low calcium, Magnesium, potassium level. Drugs given for asthma, angina and Parkinsonism also lead to cramps. Cholesterol lowering drugs like statin also cause cramps on chronic use.
3. Several vitamin deficiency states may directly or indirectly lead to muscle cramps. These include deficiencies of thiamine (B1), pantothenic acid (B5), and pyridoxine (B6).
Most flutter can be stopped if the muscle can be stretched. For many flutter of the feet and legs, this stretching can often be accomplished by standing up and walking around. Gently massaging the muscle will often help it to relax, as will applying warmth from a heating pad or hot soak. If it is associated with fluid loss, as is often the case with vigorous physical activity, fluid and electrolyte (especially sodium and potassium) replacement is essential. Certain drugs like baclofen are helpful.
I hope this information will be helpful to prevent flutter. If you have further query I shall be glad to answer

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 14 minutes later
During day and at night, but only when sitting.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Quinine water tonic is also useful

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you.
It is my sincere advice to just go through the possible causes of flutter as discussed earlier and try to correct them. As far as flutter at bed time is concerned a simple way to prevent them is stretch your calf muscle before going to bed 3-4 times and each time holding for 10-15 seconds. Quinine water tonic is also useful to prevent night cramps before going to bed.
Hope this suffices.