Suggest treatment for fluids in lungs of a dialysis patient

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: For elderly people with dialysis, how can my aunt be off vent with only problem is fluids in her lungs and not strong enough to cough?? But dialysis will not remove those fluids??
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Volume overload

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I do aggressive daily dialysis for my patients who are in volume overload. Fluids in the lung ( pulmonary edema) can be removed from the lungs by dialysis. Daily dialysis for about 3 to 4 days can help the patient to be weaned off the ventilator.
However if the patient is having pneumonia then dialysis will not be of help, if you can attach the chest x Ray and complete blood count I can tell you what she might be having .

I hope I was of help, please get back to me with the reports so that I can clarify things further

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 hours later
Her WBC is normal around 10 and she is getting cathter for dialysis suggest me pnemonia is almost gone. She has less fever now then before.

how can we normalize the secretion in lungs causing her to be on Vent??
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

More than WBC count, it is the x ray which is more important in VAP. The best way to reduce ventilator requirement by doing the following

1. Aggressive dialysis to make sure there is no pulmonary edema. I usually monitor the fluid status of the body by placing a central venous pressure line.
2. Bronchodilators like salbutamol
3. Frequent changing of position of the patient
4. Frequent suctioning of the secretions
5. X ray once in two days to know the progress

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist